Friday, April 1, 2011

Crown Royale 2010-11: Pack Break

Saw some good cards coming out of the Crown Royale packs from online posts and thought I'd try my hand. I prefer Upper Deck products to some of the new Panini products that have come out this year, but thought one pack wouldn't hurt!


Crown Royale 2011: Pickled!
A box of Crown Royale contains 3 packs, with 5 cards per pack and each pack has at least one hit: autograph or memorabilia! The packs are reasonably priced and is a nice alternative to the much pricier Upper Deck products that offer a guaranteed 'hit' per pack. Upon opening the pack I was immediately satisfied. In the pack were three base cards that were die-cut with a shiny crown at the top. Base cards are not numbered but there are parallel base cards that are. In addition to the base cards was one subset card: Royal Pains. This subset has a silver embossed area on the card that matches the base set, which is nice that the team behind Crown Royale had put some thought into making a unified set. The Royal Pains cards are also serial numbered out of 499, which is not a bad run as many subsets from other products are numbered at 999 or more. Finally, the hit of the pack was truly OUT OF THE PARK, or I guess rink might be a more appropriate word! What I pulled was a Royal Lineage patch card numbered out of 25! The card featured three pickled (!) patches, one from each: Kyle Okposo, Evander Kane, and Wayne Simmonds. A great collection of young players!


Crown Royale 2011 pack


Now, while I pulled a great pack there is one con to this product. One is that the awesome patch card is slightly curved because (I think) of the size patches. In my experience, Upper Deck patch cards do not warp from their thicknesses. Because of this I do wonder about the quality behind Panini's manufacturing. There may be more cons to this product, but as the one pack I picked up treated me so well I will definitely try my hand again!

No comments:

Post a Comment