Saturday, August 6, 2011

Between the Pipes 2009-2010

On two separate occasions I went to my local card store and picked up 4 packs of 2009-10 Between the Pipes; I bought four because it was cheaper to buy them in multiples. On both trips I had amazing pulls! In total I pulled 1 auto, 2 subset, 1 massive jersey, and 1 stick!

To begin with, the overall design of the cards is at best OK. Photos can sometimes be blurry and the color scheme tends to be dark and muted. The layout of the cards is also tired and not nearly as flashy as some of what UD has produced over the years. Despite this, Between the Pipes still produces some of the coolest memorabilia cards out there, and their focus on goalies alone makes them an attractive product.

What I pulled:
Subset (Non Memorabilia & Auto): I pulled one Masked Men and one CHL Rookies card. The Masked Men cards are always interesting for they feature a close-up shot of a goalie wearing his masked, and has a foil background. Overall just a nice looking subset card that is relatively simple. This Masked Men was of Craig Anderson, and is a Silver Version (not sure of print run). The Rookie card is of Hudson Stremmel of the Prince George Cougars. As I used to live in PG, this was a pretty cool card. Also, the backside of the card has a lengthy dossier on the goalie.

Autograph: I pulled a Future Stars auto of Anton Khudobin. The card has a big auto on a sticker. The sticker doesn't stand out as the design of the card helps mask it. The player isn't exactly a big name, but overall a nice looking card.

Memorabilia: I pulled two memorabilia cards, one from each of the two visits to the card store. The first card is a Mega Stars Patrick Roy jersey card. This is a massive jersey with a production run of 60. The jersey is all one color (red) and is from his years with Colorado (would've been better if it was Montreal). What is really cool about the card, besides that it's a big name player with an even bigger swath of jersey, is that the back of the card states that the jersey came from his 1998 NHL All-Star Game! Pretty cool, and absolutely ranks as one of my best pulls ever.

The second memorabilia card isn't remarkable for the player but that it's a chunk of he guys stick! This is the first and only stick memorabilia card I have pulled and I hope it's not my last. The stick belonged to John Vanbiesbrouck and has a production run of 9. I love that the window on the card is massive as it has to fit the stick inside, and that the stick itself has what might be a hand painted design on it. Great card.


Overall Opinion: While I busted only a total of 8 packs, I pulled some absolutely fantastic cards! I would definitely go back for some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment