Sunday, January 22, 2012

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Widevision Movie Cards

A week ago I went to a liquidation sale that featured comic books, comic book related statues, and sport cards. While I found some excellent sales on comics and statues, there wasn't too much there for cards. This was kind of expected since most comic book collectors /sellers tend to offer early 90's sport cards and random /bizarre collectors cards such as Desert Storm cards; cards from the early 90's were vastly over manufactured so their worth is negligible and their rarity is non-existent. However, I did come across one box of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Widevision Movie Cards. The vendor sold me the box for about $10 and I knew that one out of every 2 boxes included a signature card from someone that had appeared in the movie. Most of the signatures feature a very minor actor, but regardless this would be pretty neat since I am a massive Star Wars fan.

Example auto card, which I did not find :(
I did not find an autograph in my box. However, I did pull 4 chrome subset cards and compiled the entire base set. An average auto from this product (manufactured by Topps by-the-way) goes for between $5 and $20. The average chrome subset card goes for between $1 and $8, and the base set is under $10. Considering all this, I wouldn't pay much more than $20 for another box of this product. I am also less inclined to purchase this product again since I would be left with a mountain of double base cards and run a 50/50 chance of finding an auto card. The most expensive of the auto cards is Samuel L. Jackson's signature, which averages 1 in almost 3,000 packs, which would be about 1 in every 1,500 boxes! Not exactly great odds for finding a valuable auto.

Chrome cards
From what I pulled, the chrome cards are exceptionally sharp looking. Each card features production art from a particular scene from the movie. The chrome is nicely added so that the card does not bend too much and it does add a nice affect to the image. The back of the card does not have chrome, but instead a blurb explaining the front image. To the side of the back text is another production illustration, this time of a sketch instead of a fully rendered painting as is shown on the card's front.

Base cards
The base set consists of 80 2.5x4.75" cards. Busting a box will provide you with the full 80 card set, plus another 40 or so duplicates. The design is pretty generic in comparison to other movie trading card sets, but still looks sharp. The back of the card has text explaining a scene in the movie and includes a small photo from that scene. The front of the card has a crystal clear, widescreen photo from the scene in question. The resolution on the cards is fantastic and each side has a nice, almost semi-gloss to it. The front of the cards also have a tasteful amount of silver foil, used for the set's name. Overall, the base set is very nice looking.

Overall, a box of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Widevision Movie Cards, delivers a nice looking base set and a handful of chrome subset cards. An auto would've been nice to have been included in each box and the lack of an auto in each box is what would keep me from spending a lot on the product. At $10 though I really can't complain with what I got. A lot of fun to break too!

No comments:

Post a Comment