Saturday, January 21, 2012

Status Update on Fan Packs

After only a few days following my online requests for fan packs from various sport teams, I received 8 replies. I think I sent something like 70+ e-mails for fan packs, so I am currently sitting at roughly an 10% reply rate. Anyways, from these 8 replies only 2 said they would send me a fan pack, which is a bit more disparaging. What is truly disparaging though is that the principle reason most teams refuse to send out a fan pack is because I live in Canada! This is most common in MLB teams who refuse to send fan packs across the American border. I find this bizarre as it works counter to marketing ambitions of growing the organization's fan base. Furthermore, Canada HAS a MLB team and one would think that MLB as a whole would try to promote their product as much as they could in Canada so that there are more fans, a healthier fan base for the existing team (the Blue Jays), and eventually be able to expand the MLB teams to more areas in Canada.

From the 8 responses I received, the MLB teams Indians and Braves both said they cannot send fan packs outside of the USA. The Yankees however said I could mail a postcard to their team in exchange for a fan pack, but I feel that they forgot to mention that this applies to only US residents. I also received 5 responses from NHL teams. The Bruins wrote that they cannot send fan packs to individuals living outside of the US. The Senators said that they do not send out fan packs at all because of the high level of requests they have received in the past. The Predators took a different approach, where they wrote that they do not mail out fan packs but instead e-mail an electronic form of the fan pack, which included Predator printouts of their logos and other graphics, and a copy of their team schedule. Ending on a more positive note, the Canucks and Flames organizations wrote that they do offer fan packs and that they should arrive in 1 to 2 months time.

Some of the graphics that the Predators sent me in the electronic fan pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment